Thank you for your interest in the General Surgery Residency Program sponsored by the Allegheny General Hospital - Western Pennsylvania Hospital Medical Education Consortium.
Our five-year academic program is strongly weighted in clinical experience. Over the past five years, about two thirds of our graduates chose to enter a fellowship program and one third started to practice general surgery following their residency training.
Please read more about our program and contact us with any questions:
Our organization and faculty strive to provide an outstanding training program and learning environment and we are proud that our graduates are prepared for leadership roles in high-quality academic and clinical programs across the nation.
Sincerely, Charles F. Cobb, MD, General Surgery Residency Program Director
The primary goal of the General Surgery Residency Program of the Allegheny General Hospital - Western Pennsylvania Hospital Medical Education Consortium is to prepare the resident to function as an independent and highly competent practitioner of surgery who will become board-certified in the specialty of surgery.
To meet this goal, the guidelines provided by the Resident Review Committee for General Surgery are followed. All graduating residents must acquire the following six general competencies:
- Patient care, including technical skill that is compassionate, appropriate and effective for the treatment of health problems and the promotion of health
- Medical knowledge of established and evolving biomedical, clinical, epidemiological and social-behavioral sciences and the application of this knowledge to patient care.
- Practice-based learning and improvement that involves the constant investigation and evaluation of their own patient care and appraisal and assimilation of scientific evidence to continue to improve patient care throughout their entire professional careers
- Interpersonal and communication skills that result in effective information exchange and collaboration with patients, their families and other health professionals
- Professionalism as manifested through a commitment to carrying out professional responsibilities, adherence to ethical principles and sensitivity to diverse patient populations
- System-based practice as manifested by actions that demonstrate an awareness of a responsiveness to the larger context and system of healthcare and the ability to effectively call on system resources to provide care that is of optimal value
The attainment of all six competencies and particularly patient care will be evaluated and closely monitored by the surgical staff for all residents at all levels through all rotations.
Clinical knowledge base will be evaluated on all rotations by resident performance under close faculty supervision.
Satisfactory attainment of formal medical knowledge competency may be demonstrated by either scoring at the 30th percentile or above on the yearly American Board of Surgery In-Training Examination (ABSITE) or by completing a formal remediation program and passing an additional examination.
The curriculum of our General Surgery Residency Program offers a broad scope of didactic presentations and conferences and subspecialty rotations at a variety of facilities within and also outside our health system.
Our program is enhanced by offering the resident several areas of concentration, including the following:
- Trauma and acute care surgery
- Surgical critical care
- Surgical oncology
- Colon and rectal surgery
- Vascular surgery
- Cardiothoracic surgery
- Hepatobiliary surgery
- Basic and advanced laparoscopic surgery
Surgical residents see patients in the surgical ambulatory care area and in faculty surgeons' private offices.
Our General Surgery Residency Program is based at Allegheny General Hospital in Pittsburgh, with rotations at Allegheny Valley Hospital in Natrona Heights, Forbes Regional Hospital in Monroeville, The Western Pennsylvania Hospital in Pittsburgh, and Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh of UPMC.
Allegheny General Hospital
Allegheny General Hospital (AGH) has 24 main operating rooms, including an integrated minimally invasive suite, four specialized operating rooms, and seven operating rooms in the Ambulatory Surgery Center.
AGH has a 24-bed surgical/trauma intensive care unit, a 16-bed cardiothoracic intensive care unit, and a 19-bed neurosurgical intensive care unit. The hospital is a Level I Regional Resource Center for Trauma and annually admits more than 2,000 patients to the Division of Trauma Surgery. Our hospital was the first in the state to open a dedicated trauma intensive care unit, and our air ambulance service, LifeFlight, introduced in 1978, was the first aeromedical emergency transport system in the northeastern United States. Five LifeFlight helicopters transport more than 200 patients per month within a 150-mile radius of Pittsburgh.
Allegheny Valley Hospital
Allegheny Valley Hospital (AVH) has long been known for providing the highest quality medical care, serving as a critical healthcare resource for Alle-Kiski Valley communities for over 100 years.
The 228-bed hospital offers a broad spectrum of inpatient services, including medical and surgical services, inpatient psychiatric care and geriatric psychiatric care, cardiology, orthopaedics and cancer care. We also offer outpatient care centers throughout the community located in New Kensington, Natrona Heights and Vandergrift, all providing a wide range of diagnostic services in easy to access, convenient locations.
Forbes Regional Hospital
Forbes Regional Hospital (FRH) has been the only full-service healthcare provider in Pittsburgh's eastern suburbs for over 30 years. The 350-bed facility logs 15,000 inpatient admissions, 12,000 surgeries, and nearly 50,000 emergency department visits annually.
During the past five years, Forbes Regional has grown substantially through the addition of key services such as cardiovascular surgery and neurosurgery and the opening of both a new 38-bed emergency department and a completely refurbished Women's and Infants’ Center. The hospital has also recently became an affiliate of the world-renowned Joslin Diabetes Center and is a Joint Commission-certified Primary Stroke Center.
Revitalization plans are underway at FRH to add a third cardiovascular operating room and to become accredited as the Pittsburgh area’s first Level 2 trauma center.
More than 500 physicians and 1,380 employees share the hospital's commitment to patient care excellence.
The Western Pennsylvania Hospital
Today, The Western Pennsylvania Hospital (WPH) in Pittsburgh is a 292-bed academic medical center that has been regionally and nationally recognized for excellence in nursing, bone marrow and cell transplantation, burn care and reproductive medicine.
In 2006, West Penn Hospital became the first hospital in Pittsburgh and western Pennsylvania to achieve Magnet Recognition® status from the American Nurses Credentialing Center. Only about 6% of US hospitals have achieved this prestigious recognition for excellence in nursing services.
In 2012, West Penn Hospital offers the following completely renovated/refurbished inpatient care units:
- Emergency Medicine services, including a completely renovated Emergency Department that opened on Feb. 14, 2012, with 23 private patient treatment rooms (five in a separate 'rapid-treat' area) and dedicated state-of-the-art X-ray room, computed tomography (CT) room and ultrasound equipment
- Dedicated upgraded/renovated medical and surgical patient care units
- Completely renovated Medical-Surgical Intensive Care Unit
- Hospitalist Program
- Women's and Infants' Services:
- West Penn Burn Center, including Burn Outpatient Clinic and Burn Outreach Coordinator - the region's first burn center verified by the American Burn Association/American College of Surgeons Commission on Trauma and the only center in the region verified for care of both pediatric and adult burn patients
- Acute Rehabilitation, including post-LVAD and post-transplant care
- Bone Marrow/Cell Transplantation Program and inpatient unit
West Penn Hospital also houses Forbes Hospice,
West Penn's Bariatric Surgery Center of Excellence has achieved HealthGrades recognitions many years in a row.