Program objectives focus on AGH's three primary areas of excellence, which include:
- Provide the Resident with supervised patient contact and comprehensive teaching in order to achieve proficient, thoughtful, compassionate and high quality care in an environment that encourages practice-based learning and improvement.
- Encourage development of interpersonal and communication skills that enhance professional interaction with the broad scope of specialists, referring physicians or other professionals related to managing the patient’s care.
- Provide the Resident with training in state-of-the-art Radiation Oncology, Physics and Radiation Biology/Cancer Biology to enhance medical knowledge and through which professional expertise can be attained.
- Utilize opportunities in multi-disciplinary conferences for the Resident to present patient cases in an open forum for critical review, discussion and resolution.
- Train the Resident in the use of modern Radiation Therapy equipment including teletherapy, brachytherapy devices, and computer software for dosimetry, treatment planning and total patient management.
- Organize clinical research opportunities for the Resident through participation in approved clinical trials, development of Phase I/II clinical trials and/or review and presentation/publication of retrospective analyses of patient data.