Cardiovascular-Thoracic Surgery Resident Skills Lab
This course provides training for the surgical resident in a multitude of thoracic clinical scenarios that enable participants to perform assessments, diagnose the presenting illness or injury, perform the necessary skill interventions, and devise the appropriate plan of care. Thoracic skills interventions will include minor procedures (central line placement, thoracentesis, chest tube insertion) and progress to more sophisticated techniques (suturing, vascular anastomoses, cannulation for bypass).
- Demonstrate appropriate sterile techniques in central line placement.
- Demonstrate appropriate techniques in intubation and airway management.
- Implement appropriate interventions based upon patient's hemodynamic changes.
- Upon completion of this course, participants will develop the skills and confidence to perform proper placement of central lines and endotracheal tubes.
- Upon completion of this course, participants will develop confidence in critical thinking skills.
- Cardiovascular surgery residents