Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenator (ECMO)
This course is designed for staff working in the Cardiothoracic Intensive Care Unit (CTICU) and Cardiac Catheterization Laboratory at Forbes Regional Hospital. The focus is on developing skills for assessment and identification of patients requiring extracorporeal membrane oxygenator (ECMO) therapy. In addition, equipment familiarization, role identification, and patient safety procedures will be performed.
- Staff will properly call Condition ECMO.
- Staff will identify roles during emergency situations requiring ECMO.
- Staff will perform Time Out procedure prior to initiating ECMO.
- Staff will assemble all necessary equipment prior to ECMO procedure.
- Staff will achieve competency in assessing a patient’s need for ECMO.
- Staff will identify individual roles during ECMO.
- Staff will state equipment needed at bedside.
- Staff will provide and maintain equipment for ECMO.
- CTICU and Cardiac Catheterization Lab staff