Mock Neuro Alert
This course is intended to educate nursing staff in the proper procedure to implement during a neuro alert. Course content emphasizes the importance of early recognition and prompt treatment of a stroke patient. Training is done in the clinical setting (in situ) using high-fidelity simulators. At the end of this course, participants will have demonstrated competence in recognizing the signs and symptoms of stroke, initiating the neuro alert procedure, performing the actions required by the neuro alert procedure, and providing initial care for the stroke patient.
Staff will identify signs and symptoms of stroke and correctly determine the "last known well time".
- Staff will provide pertinent information to the Neuro Alert Team about patients with neurological changes.
- Staff will demonstrate the actions to take during a neuro alert (obtain vital signs, place monitor, perform central blood glucose exam, perform Miami Emergency Neurologic Deficit [MEND] exam).
- Staff will locate and accurately document on the correct forms during the neuro alert (Rapid Response Form, orders set, neuro nursing flowsheet, and order for stat CT scan).
- Staff will state the care for the stroke patient after the initial assessment (CT order entry and transfer to CT scan department, transfer to ICU for telemedicine neurology consultation).
- Staff will recognize stroke signs and symptoms and utilize the neuro alert procedure.
- Staff will be knowledgeable and competent during the neuro alert procedure.
- All nursing staff