West Penn Allegheny Outpatient Services Basic IV Therapy Skills Lab
This course provides the participant with the knowledge and technical skills necessary to efficiently start intravenous lines as well as manage the care of intravenous lines. With the use of high- and low-fidelity manikins, the participant is given the opportunity to practice in a simulated environment.
- Demonstrate skill in venipuncture, including vein selection, distention, and sterile technique.
- Demonstrate proficiency in use and safe disposal of venipuncture equipment.
- Demonstrate skill in the care and use of various VAD's.
- Identify reactions as a result of extravasation in association with specific chemotherapy drugs and appropriate interventions.
- Verbalize knowledge of institutional policies and procedures regarding IV therapy and VAD's.
- Give an example of accurate, concise documentation.
- West Penn Allegheny Outpatient Services Employees