Text Size: A- A+ Facebook Twitter LinkedIn YouTube

Breaking News

YouTube

SEARCH NEWS

Format: 04/17/2014
Format: 04/17/2014

News

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette: Two dead, dozens sickened trying to keep warm

Tuesday, February 9th, 2010

By Karen Kane, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
This weekend's heavy snowstorm turned deadly as people scrambling to replace lost electrical service by using generators or other heat sources were overcome with carbon monoxide poisoning.

A McKeesport father and daughter died early Sunday of suspected carbon monoxide poisoning, and more than two dozen others were overcome by fumes.

"The common thread was people using generators or heating devices to make up for lost electricity," said Dr. Donald M. Yealy, chairman of the University of Pittsburgh and UPMC Health System's departments of emergency medicine.

Between Saturday and Sunday, Dr. Yealy said more than two dozen people were treated for poisoning by carbon monoxide -- a gas that is tasteless, colorless and odorless.

And three more victims were seen in the emergency department at Allegheny General Hospital, said Stephanie Waite, a spokeswoman for the West Penn Allegheny Health System.

To read more, visit the Post-Gazette website.

X
West Penn Allegheny Health System
Tell us who you are:

What areas do you use on our website?*
(select more than one if it applies)











Did you find what you were looking for?


Would you refer others to our website?

Can we contact you for future questions?

CAPTCHA math question:* 6 + 1 =

Thank you for completing the West Penn Allegheny Health System website survey.
We value your feedback and comments.