Related Classes & Events
Wednesday, June 26th, 2013
Tuesday, July 2nd, 2013
Wednesday, July 10th, 2013
Tuesday, August 6th, 2013
Saturday, August 10th, 2013
Allegheny General Hospital has a long tradition of offering pioneering technology for patients with cardiovascular disease.
AGH physicians have been responsible for many of the region's, and often the nation's, "firsts" in heart care: from Pittsburgh's first cardiac catheterization laboratory in the early 1950s to coronary artery bypass, cardiac valve replacement and heart transplants,
While proud of its tradition, Allegheny General Hospital is not one to rest on its accomplishments. AGH is advancing heart care with one of the most exciting noninvasive diagnostic tools for the cardiologist: cardiovascular magnetic resonance imaging or cardiac MRI.
Allegheny General and the Cardiovascular Institute are home to the Cardiac MRI Center. Created in 2000, the Cardiac MRI Center is the region's first center and only dedicated cardiovascular MRI center in Pennsylvania. The Cardiac MRI Center has undergone tremendous growth since 2001. Robert Biederman, MD, an internationally recognized authority in cardiac MRI technology and research, along with his highly specialized clinical/ research and development team, have contributed to the explosion in cardiovascular MRI uses and lifesaving benefits across the world.
The Cardiac MRI Center is committed to achieving excellence in assessing heart disease through integration of state-of-the art cardiac MR imaging hardware and technology with innovative clinical research. To fulfill our mission of improving the diagnostic, prognostic and treatment options for patients with heart disease, we are working to:
- Develop, refine and validate cardiac MRI for clinical applications
- Investigate the pathophysiology of heart diseases using cardiac MRI
- Use cardiac MRI to better understand the effects of medications for the heart
- Participate in clinical trials at the national and international levels
- Disseminate research in cardiac MRI through publication of scientific papers and presentations at local, national and international conferences
- Combine expertise in cardiac physics and software engineering to create new avenues of research in cardiac MRI technology
- Play a key role in the advancement of MRI applications through participation of senior staff on peer reviews of nationally funded research at the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute (NHLBI), National Institute of Health (NIH), and the American Heart Association.
- Educate physicians, post-doctoral research fellows, medical students, clinical investigators and MRI technologists for today and tomorrow
- Provide cardiac MRI services in an efficient and cost-effective manner
The Cardiac MRI Center mission also supports the broader mission of the Cardiovascular Institute at Allegheny General Hospital. At the forefront of cardiovascular care, the Cardiovascular Institute combines a full-range of diagnostic cardiology services to facilitate the delivery of care for the patient undergoing evaluation for heart disease.
- To provide our patients with high quality, cost-effective clinical care delivered with compassion