Related Classes & Events
Wednesday, June 5th, 2013
Wednesday, June 26th, 2013
Tuesday, August 6th, 2013
Saturday, August 10th, 2013
Tuesday, October 1st, 2013
The Allegheny General Hospital (AGH) Neuroscience Program integrates disease specific centers of excellence in neurology, neurosurgery, and neuroradiology into one of the most diverse and active programs in the region. The AGH Neuroscience Program serves as a national and international referral center for treatment of all types of neurological conditions and has been recognized locally, regionally, and nationally for its quality of patient care. AGH Neuroscience is on the forefront of innovative clinical care, intensive postgraduate medical education, residency/fellowship programs, and pioneering research.
What Sets Us Apart
Integration of world-renowned experts in the subspecialties of Neurology, Neurotology, Neuroradiology, Neuro-Critical Care, and Neurosurgery allows Allegheny General Hospital to offer the depth of experience and services to provide world class care for patients with the most complex neurological disorders.
The Department of Neurology is recognized as one of the preeminent clinical services in Western Pennsylvania. Premier programs of excellence include stroke, epilepsy, movement disorders, multiple sclerosis/neuro-immunology, neuro-oncology, neuromuscular disorders, and neuropsychological services.
The Department of Neurosurgery offers the full range of neurosurgical services in the following subspecialties: cerebrovascular, skull-base, neuromodulation, neuro-oncology, complex spine, neuro trauma, minimally invasive, epilepsy, cranial nerve disorders, and pain management.
The Division of Neuroradiology provides state of the art neuroimaging services and interpretation by four board certified neuroradiologists. Two board certified interventional neuroradiologists perform diagnostic cerebral angiography, interventional stroke therapy, and treatment of cerebral aneurysms and vascular malformations.
Neurotologists also offer comprehensive diagnostic testing and treatment for individuals with ear diseases, hearing loss, balance disorders, acoustic tumors, and facial nerve disorders.
A Tradition of Excellence
The Allegheny General Neuroscience program has lead pioneering efforts in the treatment of neurological disorders, both in Western Pennsylvania and nationally. Allegheny General Hospital provides the highest standard of care for their patients by providing innovative therapies and programs of excellence. The following are just a few examples:
- Development of guidelines for the treatment of severe head injury
- Founding member, American Brain Injury Consortium
- Drug treatment with methylprednisolone for improvement in neurologic recovery after spinal cord injury
- LINAC-based stereotactic radiosurgery
- Intraoperative magnetic resonance imaging
- Cryosurgery for brain tumors
- Largest Movement Disorder Program in Western Pennsylvania
- JCAHO Certified Primary Stroke Center
- First to conduct multicenter drug studies of new modulating drugs for Multiple Sclerosis
- First ALS Clinic in Western Pennsylvania
- First Level 4 Comprehensive Epilepsy Program in Western Pennsylvania
- New surgical treatment for epilepsy – vagal nerve stimulator
- Artificial cervical and lumbar discs
- Minimally invasive spine surgery – percutaneous discectomy
- X-stop procedure for spinal stenosis
- Surgical treatment for depression –vagal nerve stimulator