Related Classes & Events
Monday, May 20th, 2013
Tuesday, May 21st, 2013
Thursday, May 23rd, 2013
Thursday, May 30th, 2013
Education and Breast Feeding
The Western Pennsylvania Hospital offers a variety of childbirth education classes, including childbirth comprehensive, sibling preparation, baby care, breastfeeding and infant/child CPR and safety. For a complete listing of upcoming classes, click here.
Patients can also call 412.578.7030 for more information or to schedule classes.
We proudly offer expectant and new nursing families a variety of on-site services to promote breastfeeding success. Our services include:
- Prenatal consultations, particularly for past lactation failure
- Prenatal breast-feeding classes – offered monthly
- In hospital lactation visits-all nursing mothers are seen by a lactation consultant
- Outpatient lactation visits-provided on request for mothers with breastfeeding problems. Visits are held at West Penn Hospital (fee for service)
- The “Nursing Café” – a free, weekly support group for nursing moms/babies
- Breastfeeding phone line – 7 days a week, 9 am – 5 pm for breastfeeding questions/concerns
- On-site certified bra fittings available
New moms have a convenient way to purchase or rent lactation supplies at West Penn Hospital’s Lactation Center. Located in Mellon Pavilion, the Lactation Center offers breast pumps to rent or purchase, nursing bras and a wide variety of breastfeeding accessories. The Center is open Monday through Friday, from 9 a.m. until 5 p.m. Evening and weekend times are available by appointment. For additional information or an appointment, call 412.578.7030. For your convenience, a satellite location of the Lactation Center is available on E6, postpartum.