Related Classes & Events
Thursday, May 30th, 2013
Saturday, June 1st, 2013
Monday, June 3rd, 2013
Breast-feeding is the most natural and healthiest way to nourish your baby, as well as the most rewarding for mother. Like anything new you do, it is useful to have help and support along the way. Our caring professionals are there for you as you embark on this most special of journeys.
West Penn HospitalOur Lactation Consultants are available for all your breast-feeding questions and needs.
Our Mission To assist nursing mothers in achieving their personal breastfeeding goals through compassionate and skilled support and education.
Our Staff Lactation Services of the Western Pennsylvania Hospital is staffed by board-certified lactation consultants (International Board Certified Lactation Consultants), who are also registered nurses. Our experienced practitioners attend workshops and conferences that support breastfeeding education and continually learn from their daily interactions with new moms and babies.
- Sandra M. Porco, R.N., B.S.N., IBCLC
- Robert Monteverde, R.N., B.S.N., IBCLC
- Julie Brown, R.N., B.S.N., IBCLC
- Lillian Roth, R.N., B.S.N., IBCLC
Located in Suite 152 Mellon Pavilion
West Penn Hospital
4800 Friendship Ave.
Pittsburgh., PA 15224
We proudly offer expectant and new nursing families a variety of on-site services to promote breastfeeding success. Our services include:
Our Areas of Expertise
- Early Feedings
- Sore nipples and breast pain
- Difficult latch
- Flat or inverted nipples
- Premature birth
- Returning to work
- Milk supply issues
- Breast Pump Rentals and Sales along with a full line of quality products to assist in establishing and maintaining breastfeeding are available on-site
- Our array of products includes a wide variety of nursing bras, camisoles, micro steam bags, and twin nursing pillows
Our Hours The Lactation Center at West Penn Hospital (located in Suite 152 Mellon Pavilion) is open 9 am-5 pm Monday through Friday. Weekend or evening appointments can be made by calling 412. 578.7030.
For More Information
- American Academy of Pediatrics position statement regarding breastfeeding
- Breastfeeding After Breast and Nipple Surgeries
Breastfeeding after reduction surgery; offers support and advice on breastfeeding after breast and nipple surgeries
Great site for a variety of breastfeeding topics and concerns
- Dr. Jack Newman and Edith Kernerman
Renowned Canadian Pediatrician, Dr. Jack Newman offers expert information and guidance on a variety of breastfeeding topics; includes great video links and downloadable handouts
Website which provides evidence based information on breastfeeding and parenting
- LaLeche League International
Website providing evidence based information on a wide range of breastfeeding topics/concerns